Jim Kay is an English artist from Northhampshire, England, who won the Kate Greenway Medal in 2012 for his illustrations for the book A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. He was selected personally by J. K. Rowling to present illustrations of every title in the Harry Potter series in technicolour.
The first title, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, was released on 6 October 2015, featuring over 100 full-colour illustrations. Kay's illustrated edition of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was published in 4 October 2016, featuring 115 new colour images. Kay's illustrated edition of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was published in October 2017. Kay's illustrated Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was published on 8 October, 2019. In May 2020, Jim Kay released a couple of sketches of illustrations for the illustrated edition of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. It was estimated at the time that the title would be released no earlier than Fall 2021.
Behind the scenes
- On Pottermore, Jim Kay said "I think the most fun I’ve had though is working on Diagon Alley, because that’s your chance to let rip and do things that aren’t mentioned in the book".
- Jim Kay's official website (old)
- Jim Kay's official website (new)
- Pottermore - Jim Kay speaks at the House of Illustration
- Pottermore - Jim Kay on the illustrated edition of Harry Potter
- Pottermore - Artist Jim Kay on illustrating Harry Potter
- Pottermore - Jim Kay’s Harry Potter illustrations on show at Seven Stories
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone illustrated edition on Amazon
- Pottermore - Exclusive first look inside ‘Chamber of Secrets' Illustrated Edition from Jim Kay
- Pottermore - Exclusive: Artist Jim Kay on the joy of illustrating Diagon Alley
- Amazon - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: The Illustrated Edition
- Sims, Andrew (8 May, 2020). ‘Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix’ Illustrated Edition release date, previews. Hypable. Retrieved on 2021 July 31.