- "The Knarl (northern Europe and America) is usually mistaken for a hedgehog by Muggles. The two species are indeed indistinguishable except for one important behavioural difference: if food is left out in the garden for a hedgehog, it will accept and enjoy the gift; if food is offered to a Knarl, on the other hand, it will assume that the householder is attempting to lure it into a trap and will savage that householder’s garden plants or garden ornaments."
- —Newt Scamander, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them[src]
It resembles the hedgehog so much so that there is only one known (behavioural) difference between them: when food is left out for a hedgehog it will appreciate and enjoy the gift; a knarl will see it as an attempt to lure it into a trap and hence savage the garden of the householder who left the food. Muggle children have often been blamed for damage committed by a Knarl.
Knarls eat wild daisies. A potioneer will often have to remove Knarls from a daisy patch in order to pick the flowers. Casting a well-aimed Stunning Spell at the Knarl will work well and will not do any permanent harm to the animal.
Knarl quills have magical uses. Fred and George Weasley once paid Mundungus Fletcher six Sickles for a bag of knarl quills, to experiment with for possible use in their Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes products.
They were featured in the Care of Magical Creatures O.W.L. during the 1995–1996 school year, where students had to locate it amongst a group of hedgehogs. The trick was to offer each creature some milk. Given how Hedgehogs are lactose intolerant and milk is thus poisonous to them, the Knarl being more intelligent, may be actually be aware of this fact.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Notes and references
|Care of Magical Creatures|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts|
|Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom · Magical Creatures (club)|
|Professors||Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|Textbooks||The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Creatures studied at Hogwarts|
|Blast-Ended Skrewt · Bowtruckle · Chimaera · Crup · Diricawl · Doxy · Fairy · Fire Crab · Flobberworm · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Golden Snidget · Hippogriff · Jackalope · Knarl · Kneazle · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Porlock · Fire Dwelling Salamander · Streeler · Thestral · Unicorn|
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|