At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The topic of this article is of a real-life subject that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really existed), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
Knotgrass was a plant with magical properties. It was used in potion-making, and was an essential ingredient in the making of the Polyjuice Potion, as well as in the brewing of the alcoholic beverage Knotgrass Mead.
During the 1989–1990 school year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Professor Pomona Sprout taught sixth-year Herbology students about how to properly cultivate and handle knotgrass. Later during this school year, Jacob's sibling took some knotgrass from the Herbology Classroom so they and their friends could brew Polyjuice Potion with it. In order to cover up them taking the plant, they rapidly grew some more knotgrass with the Herbivicus Charm so Professor Sprout would not be suspicious about its absence.
Knotgrass could be found growing in the Forbidden Forest. Harry Potter and Hermione Granger struggled through a patch of it on their way back from their first meeting with Grawp in 1996, just before they and Hagrid were approached by the centaurs.
Behind the scenes
- Knotgrass may refer to several species of the Polygonum genus found in England and Europe. It is most likely Polygonum aviculare, which was believed to halt the growth of animals, and was mentioned as such in the works of William Shakespeare.
- The use of knotgrass in the Polyjuice Potion was chosen by J. K. Rowling to represent "being tied to another person".
- In the GBA version of Chamber of Secrets, this is instead received from a Venomous Tentacula.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Mentioned in a newspaper)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (Mentioned on a bottle)
- The Road to Hogwarts Sweepstakes
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 30 (Grawp)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 7 (Niffler Hunting) - Herbology Lesson "Knotgrass"
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 10 (The Rogue Bludger)
- Label Collection book included with the Harry Potter Wizard's Collection (see this image)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (see this image)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 32 (Quest for Polyjuice)
- Maud Grieve, A Modern Herbal, Dover Publications (1976)
- Pottermore - The Polyjuice Potion - J.K. Rowling's Thoughts