At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Laughing Potion was a potion that induced laughter in the drinker. It was an effective defence against the Banshee, a dark creature. Known ingredients included the quills of the Knarl. The Laughing Potion was among the many potions included in Zygmunt Budge's Book of Potions.
It was one of the potions featured in Libatius Borage's book Have Yourself a Fiesta in a Bottle!. During the 1986–1987 school year the Castelobruxo Hippogriff Club sent the Hogwarts Hippogriff Club a first edition copy of the book as a goodwill gift. Unfortunately, the book was destroyed by Squawk, a baby Occamy in the Hogwarts club's care. However, the club members were eventually able to repair the book and sent the Castelobruxo club some Laughing Potion that they had brewed from the book's recipe in return.
During the 1989–1990 school year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Professor Severus Snape taught his sixth-years how to concoct this particular brew in Potions class. Later that same year, Jacob's sibling consumed this potion as a deterrent against the Banshee they were practising on during Bill Weasley's Defence Against the Dark Arts tutoring session on the Dark creatures.
- Add clear spring water into your cauldron.
- Chop your alihotsy leaves and add them to the water.
- Stir slowly. If you stir too fast you damage the leaves' mirthful properties.
- Snigger at the potion.
- Grind up your Billywig wings and add them to the cauldron. Stir slowly.
- Add three Knarl quills (no more, no less).
- Heat the mixture, then stir vigorously.
- Giggle at the potion.
- Heat the mixture once again.
- Shave your Puffskein and scatter hair over the surface of your potion.
- Stir quickly and apply a high heat.
- Laugh loudly and uncontrollably.
- Add a sprinkle of horseradish powder.
- Stir the potion and heat for the last time.
- Finally, wave your wand over the cauldron to finish the potion.
Behind the scenes
Given their similar effects, Laughing potion may be related to Gigglewater.
Notes and references
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 12 (Now You See Me) - Potions Lesson "Laughing Potion"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, "A BAD OMEN" Achievement
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 24 (Return to the Forest) - Defence Against the Dark Arts Lesson "Banshees"