At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "I am about to attempt to break into your mind. We are going to see how well you resist. I have been told that you have already shown aptitude at resisting the Imperius Curse. . . . You will find that similar powers are needed for this. . . . Brace yourself, now. . . . Legilimens!"
- —Severus Snape using this spell on Harry Potter[src]
The Legilimency Spell (Legilimens) was a charm that allowed the caster to perform Legilimency; in other words, to delve into the mind of the victim, permitting the caster to see memories, emotions and thoughts. Skilled Legilimens, such as Tom Riddle, was able to perform Legilimency without using the incantation or a wand. Highly skilled Legilimens were able to control their victims and create realistic visions.
Professor Snape used this spell on Harry Potter while attempting to train him in Occlumency in the 1995–1996 school year. He also used it nonverbally and wandlessly in 1997 to find out where Harry learned the Sectumsempra spell.
Voldemort has used this spell extensively, both wandlessly and nonverbally, to enter the minds of those he wished to interrogate. Due to the link between himself and Harry, both could access each other's thoughts if Voldemort did not block it with Occlumency.
Behind the scenes
- As Bellatrix Lestrange taught her nephew Draco Malfoy Occlumency, it is likely she also used this spell to achieve the same method as Snape did Harry.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7, the spell Focus is used in the place of "Legilimens". It is unknown why this change was made, as they both have the same effect. However Focus is only used to clear the mind. In the film Snape says that Harry has to clear his mind. It is possible that in LEGO, this spell was used before Legilimens.
- It is unknown whether there's an Occlumency Spell as opposed to this spell.
Latin legere, "to read", and mens, "mind".
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Appears in flashback(s))
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7