Smethwyck was born in 1829, somewhere in the British isles, into the wizarding Smethwyck family. She was the first witch in Great Britain to ever referee a Quidditch match. For this reason, she was featured on a silver Chocolate Frog Card, as part of the Famous Witches and Wizards Cards series. Smethwyck died in 1910.
During the 1993–1994 school year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, a portrait of her guarded a secret passage to a Every Flavour Beans, Pumpkin Pasties, and Cauldron Cakes bonus room, with the password was Polyglot.
Behind the scenes
- The first time she refereed occurred some time before the Women's Rights Movement, although this might not matter in the wizarding world.
- She may be related to Elliot Smethwyck or Hippocrates Smethwyck or both, as they share the same surname.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Wizarding World (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)