Lestrange is the surname of an ancient pure-blood wizarding family, originally from France but also with branches in Great Britain, and one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight. They are related to the Black, Malfoy, Tonks, Lupin, and Rosier families. Bellatrix Black married into the family only because it was expected of her to make a respectable pure-blood marriage.
The Lestranges are a very old and wealthy family with a vault at Gringotts Wizarding Bank full of treasure. Like the House of Black many Lestranges practise the Dark Arts and believe in the notion of pure-blood supremacy, they disdain Muggles, Muggle-borns, blood traitors, and in some cases half-bloods. Similar to the Gaunts, they are willing to intermarry with cousins to maintain their purity.
The family has produced a Minister for Magic during the 1800s: Radolphus Lestrange took a reactionary position, and attempted to shut down the Department of Mysteries, but was ignored by the Unspeakables and the rest of the Ministry. He resigned after six years in office due to ill health, which was rumoured to be an inability to cope with stress of the office.During her time at Hogwarts around the 1910s, Leta Lestrange developed a close relationship with fellow student and magical beast enthusiast Newton Scamander. After one of Leta's experiments went wrong and endangered the life of a student, Newt Scamander took the blame and was expelled in her place. She would later cross paths with Newt again.
During the First and Second Wizarding Wars, the Lestranges supported Lord Voldemort and at least a few members of the family were Death Eaters. Voldemort named Bellatrix, Rodolphus, and Rabastan Lestrange among his most loyal followers, as they were the only Death Eaters who tried to find him after his defeat in 1981 and spent fourteen years in Azkaban because of their loyalty. Bellatrix, in particular, described herself as "the Dark Lord's most loyal servant". Bellatrix also had a "secret" relationship with Lord Voldemort and gave birth to a child with him before the Battle of Hogwarts. Bellatrix and Voldemort’s daughter was later named Delphini. As Bellatrix and Voldemort both died in the Battle of Hogwarts, Delphini grew up as an orphan.
- "The family has, however, eschewed the somewhat dangerous practise of inter-marrying within such a small pool of pure-bloods that they become enfeebled or unstable, unlike a small minority of fanatic families such as the Gaunts and Lestranges, and many a half-blood appears on the Malfoy family tree."
- —Description of the Malfoy family[src]
Relatives by marriage
|Louis Gage||Son of Josette Gage and Reynard Gage and brother of Mathis Gage.|
|Mathis Gage||Son of Josette Gage and Reynard Gage and brother of Louis Gage.|
|Odile Perrot||Daughter of Manon Perrot and Sebastien Perrot and the sister of Huguette Perrot and Laurelle Perrot.|
|Huguette Perrot||Daughter of Manon Perrot and Sebastien Perrot and the sister of Odile Perrot and Laurelle Perrot.|
|Laurelle Perrot||Daughter of Manon Perrot and Sebastien Perrot and the sister of Odile Perrot and Huguette Perrot.|
|Falco Tremblay||Son of Leonie Lestrange and Bernard Tremblay. Brother of Clarisse Tremblay.|
|Cyrille Lestrange I||Corvus Lestrange I||Heloise Lestrange|
|Corvus Lestrange II||Minette Lestrange|
|Falco Lestrange||Salomé Lestrange|
|Sebastien Perrot||Manon Perrot|
|Reynard Gage||Josette Gage|
|Corvus Lestrange III||Eglantine Lestrange||Leonie Tremblay|
|Odile Perrot||Huguette Perrot||Laurelle Perrot||Laurena Lestrange|
|Corvus Lestrange IV|
|Louis Gage||Mathis Gage||Leta Lestrange|
|Corvus Lestrange V|
The name 'Lestrange' echoes the French phrase l'étrange, literally "the strange one", referring to Bellatrix's mental disturbance. In Old French, estrange means "foreigner". The surname may allude to English journalist Roger L'Estrange, who was known for opposing religious toleration and for being involved in plots against the government of William and Mary, similar to the Lestranges' intolerance about blood purity and involvement in the Death Eaters organisation.
Behind the scenes
- Although it is pronounced le-STRANGE in the films, the Scholastic Official Website states that it is pronounced la-STRAWNGE.
- In Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, Albus Dumbledore refered to Corvus Lestrange V as the last male member of the Lestrange family, though it is possible that he meant the French branch.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Appears in flashback(s))
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Appears in photographs)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- The Archive of Magic: The Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Notes and references
- ↑ "The Lestrange Family Tree" from MinaLima Design (prop featured in Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald)
- ↑ Rodolphus and Rabastan were the only known surviving members by blood of the family in 1998. Rodolphus never had any children from his wife Bellatrix, and is either dead or imprisoned in Azkaban, and Rabastan does not seem to have been married or ever had children as well. However, a second branch of the family through Corvus Lestrange is now known, meaning it's likely the family name continued to be carried by his descendants instead.
- ↑ Black family tree
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 26 (Gringotts)
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay, Scene 91
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Pure-Blood" at Wizarding World
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Ministers for Magic" at Wizarding World
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- ↑ Bustle - "Who is Leda Lestrange? 'Fantastic Beasts' Is Only The Start For The New Character, Says Director David Yates" According to director David Yates, we will learn more about Leta Lestrange, and Newt's relationship with her, in future movies in the franchise. 18 November 2016.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ The Archive of Magic: The Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- ↑ Behind the Name: French Surnames
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Pronunciation Guide