Behind the scenes
- This character is known only by his surname in the books. His first name is given as "Lev" on a Famous Wizard Card in the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
The name "Lev" is an antiquated word for "lion" in Bulgarian, now only retained as the name of Bulgaria's main currency unit. It also means "lion" in Russian, functioning as a vernacular form of Leo. This was the real Russian name of both author Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910) and revolutionary Leon Trotsky (1879-1940). In Hebrew the name means "heart".
Lev Yashin (1929 - 1990) is a Russian goalkeeper widely believed to have been the best goalkeeper in the history of football. The Lev Yashin Award is awarded to the best goalkeeper in each World Cup.
A zograf is a person who paints churches (from Greek "zografos"). Several Bulgarians in this walk of life were given this nickname-turned-surname in recognition to their work.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)