This is a list of all (known) potion ingredients and their uses. The use descriptions are still in progress.
- Aconite (Wolfsbane) - Used in Wolfsbane potions, but also in Pottermore's Wideye/Awakening Potion.
- Acromantula Venom - No known uses, but because of its rarity, it can sell for about one hundred Galleons a pint.
- Adder's Fork - Unknown use.
- Agrippa - Used in Agrippa potions.
- Alihotsy - Used in Laughing Potions; the leaves cause uncontrollable laughter.
- Angel's Trumpet - Angel's Trumpet is assumed to be used in Angel's Trumpet Draught and is highly poisonous.
- Antimony - No known use, but it is also used in its molten form.
- Armadillo Bile - Used in the Wit-Sharpening Potion.
- Amortentia (under speculation) - The main component in Armadillo Bile.
- Ashwinder Egg - The eggs of an Ashwinder are used in Love Potions and as an antidote to ague.
- Asphodel - The powdered roots of Asphodel are used in the Draught of Living Death and the Wiggenweld Potion.
- Aspohdel, Powdered Root of
- Baneberry - Poisonous; Used in the Baneberry Potion
- Bat Blood - Used in Bat's Blood Soup (also known as Marshmallow Fondue)
- Bat Spleen - Used in the Draught of Living Death
- Bat Wing - Used in the corrosive Armadillo Bile Mixture
- Beetle Eye - Common ingredient.
- Belladonna - Fluids are used in part of a standard potion making-kit. Believed to be a key ingredient in witches' flying ointment.
- Bezoar - Acts as an antidote to most poisons, with the exception of Basilisk venom.
- Bicorn Horn - Powdered horns are used in Polyjuice Potion.
- Billywig Sting - Has the ability to make a person float. Used in a variety of potions, including Antidote to Uncommon Poisons and the Wideye Potion.
- Billywig Sting Slime - Has curative properties. Used in the Wiggenweld Potion.
- Blind-worm's Sting - Unknown effect.
- Blood - Properties depend on the source. Unicorn blood can keep a person alive, while Re'em blood gives the drinker immense strength for a short time.
- Bloodrot - Kills animal cells. Used in Bloodroot Poison.
- Boom Berry - Restorative properties. Used in the Wiggenweld Potion.
- Boomslang - Venom is highly poisonous, but slow to act.
- Boomslang Skin - An unusual ingredient used in Polyjuice Potion.
- Bouncing Spider Juice - Standard ingredient in potion making.
- Bubotuber Pus - Has acne-ridding qualities.
- Bulbadox Juice - Effect unknown. May cause boils.
- Butterscotch - Standard potion-making ingredient.
- Cat Hair - Standard potion-making ingredient.
- Caterpillar - Sliced caterpillars are used in the Shrinking Solution.
- Cheese - Used in Cheese-Based Potions.
- Chinese Chomping Cabbage - Magical plant. Used in the Skele-Gro Potion.
- Chizpurfle Carapace - Difficult to obtain. Used in the Antidote to Uncommon Poisons.
- Cinnamon - Standard potion-making ingredient.
- Cockroach - Unknown effect.
- Croakoa - Magical substance. Used in Chocolate Frogs.
- Crocodile Heart - Unknown effect.
- Daisy - Its roots are used in the Shrinking Solution and Essence of Daisyroot.
- Dandelion Root - Standard potion-making ingredient.
- Deadlyius - Unknown effect. May be poisonous.
- Death-Cap - Poisonous. Used in the Death-Cap Draught.
- Dittany - Powerful healing herb. Promotes skin growth, to the point of making a fresh wound seem several days old.
- Doxy Egg - Used in the Girding Potion.
- Dragon Blood - Has a number of properties. May be used as an oven cleaner, spot remover, and a cure for verruca.
- Dragon Claw - When powdered and eaten, gives the consumer a 'brain boost'.
- Dragon Dung - Used as a fertiliser, particularly the Dragon-Dung Fertiliser.
- Dragon Horn - Common ingredient. Used in the Fire-Breathing Potion.
- Dragon Liver - Unknown effect.
- Dragonfly Thorax - Used in the Girding Potion and the Dragon-Dung Fertiliser.
- Eagle Owl Feather - Used in the Dragon Tonic.
- Eel Eye - Used in the Bulgeye Potion.
- Erumpent Horn - Powerful magical properties. Contains a deadly fluid that causes whatever it is injected into to explode.
- Erumpent Tail - Unknown effect.
- Exploding Fluid - Gives the Erumpent Horn its explosive quality.
- Exploding Ginger Eyelash - Unknown effect. Used in a standard potion-making kit.
- Eye of Newt - Unknown effect.
- Fairy Wing - Rare ingredient, as fairies are difficult to capture. Found in the Girding Potion and Beautification Potion.
- Fillet of a Fenny Snake - Unknown effect.
- Fire Seed - Unknown effect. Maintains high temperatures.
- Flabberghasted Leech - Unknown effect.
- Flesh - Unknown - used in the potion that aided the Return of the Dark Lord.
- Flitterbloom - Magical plant that is widely harmless.
- Flobberworm Mucus - Used to thicken potions. A vital ingredient in the Wiggenweld Potion.
- Fluxweed - Known for its healing properties. Used in the Polyjuice Potion if picked at the full moon.
- Flying Seahorses - Used in the Girding Potion
- Frog Brain - Unknown effect.
- Giant Purple Toad Wart - Difficult to extract, given the toads' tendency to disappear. Used in the Dragon Tonic.
- Ginger Root - Used in the Wit-Sharpening Potion.
- Goosegrass - Used for skin ailments and scurvy. May produce a red dye.
- Graphorn Horn - Unknown effect. Used when ground into a powder. Extremely expensive.
- Griffin Claw - When powdered, used in the Strengthening Solution.
- Gillyweed - When ingested, allows the user to grow gills and webbing between their fingers and toes.
- Gulf - Unknown effect.
- Haliwinkles - Unknown effect. Presumably a plant or animal.
- Herbaria - Unknown effect.
- Honeywater - Drops are used in the Wiggenweld Potion, while larger quantities are used in the Volubilis Potion and the Antidote to Common Poisons.
- Horklump juice - Used in a range of healing potions, including the Wiggenweld Potion
- Horned slug - When stewed, used in the Boil-Cure Potion.
- Horned toad - Unknown effect.
- Horse hair - Unknown effect.
- Howlet's Wing - Unknown effect.
- Iguana blood - Unknown effect.
- Lacewing Fly - When stewed for 21 days, used in the Polyjuice Potion
- Lady's Mantle - Magical properties. Used in Beautification Potion.
- Leech - Used in the Polyjuice Potion .
- Leech Juice - Used in the Shrinking Solution.
- Lionfish - Unknown effect.
- Lionfish Spine - When crushed into powder or used whole, used in healing potions, including Wiggenweld Potion and Herbicide Potion
- Lizard's Leg - Unknown effect.
- Lobalug Venom - Unknown effect.
- Lovage - Used in Confusing and Befuddlement Draughts.
- Mandrake, stewed
- Mandrake Root
- Mistletoe Berry
- Morning Dew
- Peacock Feathers
- Pomegranate Juice
- Pond Slime
- Porcupine Quill
- Puffer-fish Eyes
- Sal Ammoniac
- Salamander blood
- Scale of Dragon
- Scarab Beetle
- Scurvy Grass
- Shrake Spine
- Sloth Brain
- Snake Fang
- Snake Skin
- Sopophorous Bean
- Star Grass
- Sulphur Vive
- Syrup of Arnica
- Syrup of Hellebore