It was located at one end of the Viaduct of the castle, near the Entrance Courtyard. Until 1994, another gargoyle sat on a plinth facing it, but it was knocked over the side of the wall for some reason. Ever since, the gargoyle had longed for some company.
During the 1995–1996 school year, Professor Binns assigned his fifth year students the task of listing five talking gargoyles as a homework assignment. Harry Potter located the gargoyles as a favour to Dean Thomas so that he could attend the first meeting of Dumbledore's Army in the Room of Requirement.
- "People ask me what it's like being a gargoyle... well, to be honest, most of the time you have a very cold bottom."
- — This gargoyle speaking[src]
Behind the scenes
- Ron: "You don't know where the other talking gargoyles are, do you?"
- Gargoyle: "Haven't seen another gargoyle since the one on that plinth disappeared."
- Hermione: "What happened to it?"
- Gargoyle: "About a year ago some boy flew through here being chased by a dragon - it knocked my friend right over the edge."
- Harry: "Er..."
- Gargoyle: "Come back and talk to me sometime won't you? This is a great place for a picnic. Come around any time!"
- Hermione: "It wasn't your fault, Harry."
- Ron: "Do you think they're all that mental?"
- — This gargoyle revealing the fate of his friend[src]
- The gargoyle was voiced by Jonathan Hansler in the video game version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
- The gargoyle's name was identified during the game's credits.
- This gargoyle reveals in game dialogue that Harry Potter knocked over his friend during the Triwizard Tournament the year before, while being chased by a dragon on broomstick. However, this cannot be considered canon, since the dragon did not escape its chains in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, where as this dialogue is referential of its film depiction which depicts the event differently.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (First appearance)