As Minister for Magic
McLaird rose to the office of Minister for Magic of Great Britain and Ireland in 1923. He was quite a talented wizard, but was considered something of an eccentric, as he liked to communicate by puffing smoke from the tip of his wand. Eventually, he was forced out of office in 1925 due to irritation at his eccentricities.
Behind the scenes
- Luna Lovegood may have named her son — Lorcan — after this man, probably in admiration for his eccentricity.
- Calvin Coolidge, the thirtieth President of the United States, was also known for being incredibly taciturn. He, too, came into office in 1923.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Mentioned in a newspaper)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ According to Pottermore, Nobby Leach (Minister for Magic between 1962 and 1968) was the first Muggle-born wizard ever to be appointed to the office.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Pottermore introduction for Ravenclaws (transcription available here)
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Ministers for Magic" at Pottermore
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (see this image)