Lovegood was the surname of a wizarding family. They lived in a house near Ottery St. Catchpole in Devon, England, and thus close to the Weasley, Fawcett, and Diggory families. It is unknown if they were pure-blood or had Muggle as well as wizarding heritage.
The Lovegoods were generally regarded as unusual by mainstream wizarding society, as they tended to hold and espouse belief in things most others do not believe in, often published in the family magazine, The Quibbler. The Lovegoods are related by marriage to the Scamander family, as Luna Lovegood married Rolf Scamander and had two children, Lorcan and Lysander Scamander.
Lovegood Family Tree
Xenophilius Lovegood------Pandora Lovegood | (d. 1990) | (Scamander family) | | | | Luna Lovegood-------------Rolf Scamander (b. 1981) | | ---------------------- | | Lorcan Scamander Lysander Scamander
Lovegood is a compound word and a real English surname.
Behind the scenes
- In the films, the Lovegoods appear to be Irish. This is largely due to the fact that Evanna Lynch, who plays Luna, is Irish. Xenophilius, played by Welsh actor Rhys Ifans, used an Irish accent for the film to match her own.
- The Lovegoods are also mentioned to be at the 1994 Quidditch World Cup.
- Both Luna and Xenophilius had a chapter with their name as the title.
- Both known female members of the Lovegood family are named after figures from mythology. Luna was the Roman godess of the moon, Pandora was, in Greek mythology, the first human woman created by the deities.
- Luna is the only known member whose name is not of Greek origin.
Notes and references
- ↑ Both Xenophilius Lovegood and his wife were magical, their daughter was allowed to attend Hogwarts during the 1997-98 school year, and Xenophilius was not rounded up with other Muggle-borns.