At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
To cast this light-creation spell, one had to flick their wand, then draw it back and flick it a second time, after which it will light, as noted in chapter thirty-two of Extreme Incantations by Violeta Stitch. The spellbook also included a diagram depicting the proper casting of this spell.
During the 1988–1989 school year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Professor Filius Flitwick taught his fifth year Charms students this charm in preparation for their upcoming Ordinary Wizarding Levels.
Behind the scenes
- Lumos Maxima was created for the third film and appears again in the sixth film, and does not make an appearance in any of the novels.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, it was not explicitly explained as to why Harry could perform magic outside school terms and in a Muggle household, without reprimand from the British Ministry of Magic shown. Although it is possible it was allowed as homework.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the spell was produced in the dark Cave by Dumbledore nonverbally, and then by Harry verbally, identifying the spell. They produced the spell and then waved the lit wand and flung the light into the distance. The wand itself remained lit, but the orb flew away and settled by lighting the whole area to a far greater extent. The orb eventually fell from the air and extinguished on its own after a while.
- Lumos Maxima was used to introduce The Wizarding World of Harry Potter to fans by illuminating Hogwarts Castle.
- In Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Lumos Maxima has the same wand gesture as the Wand-Lighting Charm.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Harry Potter for Kinect
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) - Chapter 1 (Under Covers Prologue)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Chapter 29 (Final Preparations) - Charms Lesson "Lumos Maxima"
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Announcement Trailer
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) - Chapter 26 (Inferi Attack)