The Lumos Solem Spell (Lumos Solem) is a charm used to produce a blinding flash of sunlight. As Devil's Snare hates sunlight and heat, this particular Light-creation spells is quite effective towards subduing it.
Derived from two words; the Latin lumen, meaning "light," and the Latin solis, meaning "of the sun," indicating that this spell produces "light of the sun."
Behind the scenes
- Hermione Granger uses this spell to free Ron Weasley from the Devil's Snare in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. This was not used in the book, in which she instead frees Harry and Ron with bluebell flames.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, this spell, as well as its use against Devil's Snare, is taught in a first year Herbology class. This cannot be considered canon, however, because the book states that Professor Sprout only discussed Devil's Snare in class, not practically handled it.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Non-canonical appearance)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault (Mentioned only)
- Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure