At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "Today's class will be sure to brighten your day. We'll be learning Lumos Solem, a spell that creates a blinding flash of sunlight! So be sure to have sunglasses at the ready. It's for your own protection. I have prepared a lecture on Lumos Solem. I hope you find it illuminating!"
- — Professor Flitwick to his seventh-year students[src]
The Lumos Solem Spell (Lumos Solem) was a charm used to produce a blinding flash of sunlight. As Devil's Snare hated sunlight and heat, this particular light-creation spell was very effective towards subduing it. Wearing sunglasses was advised when practising this spell to protect one's eyes from the blinding light of the spell.
Derived from two words; the Latin lumen, meaning "light", and the Latin solis, meaning "of the sun", indicating that this spell produces "light of the sun".
Behind the scenes
- Hermione Granger uses this spell to free Ron Weasley from the Devil's Snare in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. The spell is not used in the book, in which she instead frees Harry and Ron with Bluebell Flames.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, this spell, as well as its use against Devil's Snare, is taught in a first-year Herbology class. While the book states that Professor Sprout only discussed Devil's Snare in class but not practically handled it, there is nothing to say that this spell is not taught as part of the first-year Herbology curriculum. A possibility is that it was taught to first-years so that they would be well practised and prepared by the time that they were allowed to handle the Devil's Snare.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (First appearance) (Non-canonical appearance)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (First identified as Lumos Solem Spell)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault (Mentioned only)
- Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Mentioned only)