Luna's first wand was taken from her in December of 1997 when she was abducted by Death Eaters and imprisoned in the dungeons of Malfoy Manor. Ollivander was also being held prisoner there, and she was a great comfort to him. They were rescued along with several others around Easter of 1998 by Dobby the house-elf, and brought to Shell Cottage, the home of Bill Weasley and Fleur Delacour.
After his recovery, Ollivander constructed a new wand for Luna in thanks for all she had done for him. She practised with it while staying at the cottage, and used it during the Battle of Hogwarts, during which she conjured her corporeal hare Patronus against the Dementors, and even duelled the exceptionally powerful Death Eater Bellatrix Lestrange.
Behind the scenes
- Along with Peter Pettigrew's wand, this wand is one of the only wands in the series known to be constructed specifically for a character by a wandmaker, rather than the norm of having the wand choose the witch or wizard. Garrick Ollivander said himself that it was once common for customers to bring a wand core with them before he specialised in using the three supreme wand cores: Phoenix feather, Dragon heartstring and Unicorn hair.
- It is possible that Ollivander sent her a wand that was similar, though not identical, to her first wand, as he may have been the one who sold her first wand.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 25 (Shell Cottage)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 23 (Malfoy Manor)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 24 (The Wandmaker)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 31 (The Battle of Hogwarts)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 32 (The Elder Wand)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 36 (The Flaw in the Plan)
- ↑ Pottermore