|We must've been through hundreds of books already and we can't find him anywhere —|
- "In case you’re getting ideas, I might tell you that you can trace my family back through nine generations of witches and warlocks and my blood’s as pure as anyone’s."
- —Macmillian family history[src]
Macmillan is the surname of a pure-blood wizarding family, and one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight. As of the 1990s, the family is comprised of nine consecutive generations of pure-bloods - as, through Melania Black, née Macmillan, they are distantly related to the Black and Prewett families.
Recent generations of Macmillans may be considered "blood traitors", since Ernie Macmillan had friends of other blood statuses and fought against Death Eater ideals as a member of Dumbledore's Army. However, the Macmillans are seemingly more respectable in pure-blood circles than a family such as the Weasleys, since Melania Macmillan married into the highly prejudiced House of Black.
In regards to this, it is quite possible that the Macmillans (like the Weasley family) either deplore their inclusion among the Sacred Twenty-Eight or simply do not care whom they are associated with. They are also staunch supporters of Albus Dumbledore, as was claimed by Ernie, and did not believe the slanderous accusations being levied against him by the Ministry in 1995.
|Ernie Macmillan||Hufflepuff student in Harry Potter’s year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry|
|Melania Black (née Macmillan)||Wife of Arcturus Black III, paternal grandmother of Sirius Black|
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 11 (The Duelling Club) - "“It was a very near miss,” said Ernie. “And in case you’re getting ideas,” he added hastily, “I might tell you that you can trace my family back through nine generations of witches and warlocks and my blood’s as pure as anyone’s, so —”"
- ↑ This may be the case with Melania Black née Macmillan, as Horace Slughorn has claimed that all Blacks were Sorted into Slytherin. However, this may not included spouses.
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Pure-Blood" at Pottermore
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Black family tree
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows