- "A gigantic statue of black stone dominated the scene. It was rather frightening, this vast sculpture of a witch and wizard sitting on ornately carved thrones...Engraved in foot-high letters at the base of the statue were the words MAGIC IS MIGHT...Harry looked more closely and realised that what he had thought were decoratively carved thrones were actually mounds of carved humans: hundreds and hundreds of naked bodies, men, women, and children, all with rather stupid, ugly faces, twisted and pressed together to support the weight of the handsomely robed wizards."
- — Description[src]
The Magic is Might monument was a black stone statue created after the Death Eaters took over the British Ministry of Magic on 1 August, 1997. It replaced the Fountain of Magical Brethren and thus was located in the Atrium of the Ministry of Magic Headquarters. The "Magic is Might" monument depicts a witch and a wizard sitting on carved thrones made of the naked bodies of Muggles twisted and pressed together to support the thrones of the witch and wizard, and each Muggle with an ugly and stupid face.
The phrase "Magic is Might" was inscribed at the bottom of the statue, thus, the statue became a symbol of the Pure-blood supremacist ideals of the new regime and the detestation of Muggles, which were considered inferior. Thus, the Muggles in the statue were depicting below the wizards in a degrading and humiliating fashion.
Behind the scenes
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, the Magic is Might Monument differs substantially from its book description. In the film, fully clothed Muggles (This is most likely for censorship reasons) are being crushed under the weight of a marble column with the "Magic is Might" inscription and the Ministry of Magic logo, and atop the column stand a large wizard and a witch. The Fountain of Magical Brethren is not completely removed from the Atrium, as the golden statue of the wizard is still present on its plinth.
- The depiction of the monument in the film adaptation bears a close resemblance to the Soviet monumental art, particularly the sculpture of Worker and Kolkhoz Woman.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 12 (Magic is Might)
|Level 8, Ministry of Magic|
|Lobby and Reception Area · Fountain of Magical Brethren · Magic is Might monument · Ministry Munchies · Security Desk · Lifts · Magical Maintenance Office · Ministry All-Purpose Room · Ministry Office · Office 34B|