At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
This Magical Creatures Reserve was a reservation set up in a secluded area somewhere on or near the grounds of Hogwarts Castle for the protection of magical creatures which had difficulty existing in Muggle-inhabited areas.
It was overseen by the Groundskeeper, in which the Care of Magical Creatures teacher was sometimes also involved, with the occasional help of volunteering student assistants. Rubeus Hagrid and Jacob's sibling regularly took care of a wide variety of magical beasts in this reserve from the mid-1980s to their graduation in 1991. The decision of which magical creatures could stay at the reserve was reserved for the Hogwarts Headmaster, sometimes with the input of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures if said creatures were particularly dangerous.
The reserve was visited by Jacob's sibling mostly to bond with or feed creatures they'd made acquiantance of. They also helped Hagrid with several of their quests that concerned various creatures. Starting with their first year, Jacob's sibling was introduced to the Niffler in the Grasslands first, and throughout their seven years of school life, they subsequently met the Abraxan, Thestral and the Common Welsh Green and helped Hagrid with several errands that focused on every one of them.
They also helped Hagrid with tasks about other creatures in their second to fifth year. Despite their young age, they were introduced to the Chinese Fireball in the Scorched Vale in the second year. The dragon was unable to breathe fire, which considerably lowered the harm she could do to the student, and after they helped her gain the ability to breathe fire, she was noticeably grateful and developed a special bond with them.
In the Imp's case, Jacob's sibling first encountered the mischievous Imp with Nymphadora Tonks in Zonko's Joke Shop, but throughout continual bonding with him in the Foggy Moor, Hogsmeade and even on the Hogwarts grounds, he became cooperative enough to demonstrate his wrongdoing to Bilton Bilmes and take the blame himself in order to regain Tonks permission to visit Zonko's that had been mistakenly revoked.
In their fourth year, Jacob's sibling was introduced to the Quintaped by the name of Caelan in the Foggy Moor, and the Mooncalf in the Dusklands. They helped Caelan with his broken arm and prevented him from being Untransfigured by Merula Snyde (while Hagrid also received the word from the Ministry that they wouldn't Untransfigure him too and would let him continue living in the reserve), and the Mooncalf with its dancing pattern so that it could be accepted by the Forbidden Forest Mooncalf herd.
Later in the school year, Jacob's sibling helped Hagrid procure a feather that Professor Dumbledore needed from the Augurey in the Foggy Moor. It turned out to be a misunderstanding, as the feather was in fact only for Dumbledore's diary, while Hagrid thought it was for the Quill of Acceptance.
It is requested that this article, or a section of this article, should be expanded. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by expanding this article to give more complete coverage of its subject.
In their sixth year, Jacob's sibling met the Hebridean Black in the Foggy Moor.
|Grasslands||Pixie, Niffler, Knarl, Porlock, Diricawl, Abraxan|
|Forest||Fairy, Bowtruckle, Gnome, Hippogriff, Common Welsh Green|
|Dark Forest||Unicorn, Chimaera, Thestral, Acromantula, Hungarian Horntail|
|Lake||Plimpy, Grindylow, Murtlap, Flobberworm, Norwegian Ridgeback|
|Rocky Mountains||Mountain troll, Manticore, Griffin, Doxy, Frost Salamander, Yeti|
|Scorched Vale||Fire Crab, Salamander, Swedish Short-Snout, Chinese Fireball, Ukrainian Ironbelly|
|Foggy Moor||Augurey, Dugbog, Imp, Hebridean Black, Kappa, Quintaped|
Behind the scenes
- This wildlife preserve might be reached by way of the Forbidden Forest, as it was not situated anywhere that is typically frequented by students, yet remains under the purview of the school.
- Given the proximity of the vastly different environments that constitutes the designated areas for the different creatures, the preserve was presumably created by magical means in a manner similar to the enclosures found within Newton Scamander's suitcase.
- The "Scorched Vale" location was originally called "Volcanic Pasture" but this was changed in an update in July 2020 when the location became available.
- Oddly enough, the player is able to openly interact and care for various creatures in this reserve which are extremely dangerous and carnivorous, such as dragons, the Yeti and Quintaped, which are all said in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them to eat humans upon sight. It is likely the player is only able to interact with these beasts for purely gameplay/aesthetic reasons.
In Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Jacob's sibling is able to take care of Magical Creatures form Year 1 Chapter 5 on. Hagrid introduces the Magical Creatures Reserve and the Niffler. As a start 10 red notebooks will be gifted to adopt the gold loving creature to level up to Level 2. Multiple side quests with Hagrid are tied to Magical Creatures. Jacob's sibling can only take care of magical creatures depending on their Magizoologist Level.
- Each magical creature can be adopted with a certain amount of red, blue and yellow notebooks.
- Notebooks can be won during various events, during class rewards or gifted from Jam City on special occasions.
- Creatures can be fed and bonded with to collect Creature XP, which leads ultimately to the next level.
- Creature food is received via class rewards, by searching for food in the Artefact Room (3h = 4+2+2 Food, 4 HP), from random rewards for winning sets of duels and from club rank rewards and club tappies or watching ads for 1 food while in the Magical Creature Reserve.
- Options to feed a creature 1, 2 or 3 food are available. Feeding 3 will level up the creature faster, as the refresh time between feeding is the same no matter what amount is chosen.
- Bonding is free of charge, but has a longer refresh rate.
- XP for bonding and feeding values were updated on 26 March, 2020.
- Upon reaching the next level a reward is given. These can be different amounts and colours of notebooks, coins, energy, and gems. Energy is stackable above the limit.
- If the maximum trust level of a creature is reached, the creature no longer gives XP towards the Magizoologist level.
- Creatures with maximum trust can be feed 3 food to receive a reward (very much like class rewards). There is a 7h refresh rate. Bonding and interaction are still available at no cost and no gain.
|Total creature XP reqired||0||12||812||4592||9242||11942||26822||39801||51612||100000|
|XP between levels||n/a||12||800||3780||4650||2700||14880||12979||11811||n/a|
|Magical creature||Lv||Location||Cost to adopt||XP||Total rewards|
|Fire Crab||2||Scorched Vale||50||10||2||2402||4||10||4||2||1050||54||15|
|Frost Salamander||3||Rocky Mountains||60||20||10||3745||8||10||8||4||750||54||20|
|Chinese Fireball||4||Scorched Vale||65||40||25||5627||20||24||8||4||750||54||15|
|Mountain troll||5||Rocky Mountains||50||10||3990||2||12||2||2||1050||54||15|
|Swedish Short Snout||6||Scorched Vale||70||20||15||4840||20||18||6||4||750||54||19|
|Hungarian Horntail||8||Dark Forest||95||30||25||4980||20||24||8||4||600||54||18|
|Ukrainian Ironbelly||8||Scorched Vale||70||45||30||5220||16||26||4||8||900||54||18|
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (First appearance)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Great Lake" at Wizarding World - "The grounds of Hogwarts function partly as a nature reserve for magical creatures which have difficulty existing in Muggle-inhabited areas."
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Side Quest "Relight the Fire"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Side Quest "Into the Hybrid Lion's Den"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Side Quest "A Unicorn Surprise!"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Side Quest "The Zonko's Dungbomb Disaster"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Side Quest "Upping the Game"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Side Quest "A Helping Hand"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Side Quest "Over the Moon"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, "VALENTINE'S DAY BALL" Achievement
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Side Quest "Magical Birds of a Feather"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Side Quest "More Than Just a Mascot"
- When am I able to interact with magical creatures - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt Magical Creatures - Jam City Support
- How do I increase my trust level - Jam City Support
- How do I increase my Magizoologist Level - Jam City Support
- Where do I find Food for my creatures - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Fairy? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Fire Crab? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Bowtruckle? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Abraxan? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Salamander? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Hippogriff? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Welsh Green Dragon? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Acromantula? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Thestral? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Knarl? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Chimaera? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Mountain Troll? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Pixie? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Grindylow? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Gnome? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Manticore? - Jam City Support
- How I adopt the Murtlap? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Yeti? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Doxy? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Unicorn? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Griffin? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Norwegian Ridgeback? - Jam City Support
- How do I adopt the Hungarian Horntail? - Jam City Support
|Magical Creatures Reserve|
|Grasslands||Pixie · Niffler · Knarl · Porlock · Diricawl · Abraxan|
|Forest||Fairy · Bowtruckle · Gnome · Hippogriff · Common Welsh Green|
|Dark Forest||Unicorn · Chimaera · Thestral · Acromantula · Hungarian Horntail|
|Lake||Plimpy · Grindylow · Murtlap · Flobberworm · Norwegian Ridgeback|
|Rocky Mountains||Mountain troll · Manticore · Griffin · Doxy · Frost Salamander · Yeti|
|Scorched Vale||Fire Crab · Salamander · Swedish Short-Snout · Chinese Fireball · Ukrainian Ironbelly|
|Foggy Moor||Augurey · Imp · Hebridean Black · Kappa · Quintaped|