The Magical Law Enforcement Patrol, also known as the Magical Law Enforcement Squad, was a subdivision of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement in the Ministry of Magic, comprised of a team of wizards and witches tasked with general law enforcement. Trained Hit Wizards were a part of the Squad and were dispatched to deal with high-profile arrests.
The Magical Law Enforcement Squad was headed by Bob Ogden in the 1920s. Ogden ventured to Little Hangleton to arrest Morfin Gaunt, who had been using magic against local Muggles. Morfin and his father Marvolo resisted arrest, however; thus Ogden later returned with support and arrested both Gaunts.
In November, 1981 Hit Wizards from the Magical Law Enforcement Squad were dispatched to deal with the cornered Sirius Black, who was suspected of killing 12 muggles and Peter Pettigrew. It was believed that Black was deranged and only these trained Hit Wizards were able to deal with him.
Arthur Weasley mentioned to Harry Potter, after the latter's disciplinary hearing in 1995, that the Magical Law Enforcement Patrol would deal with the culprit behind the Regurgitating Toilets in Bethnal Green, a prediction in which Arthur was sadly mistaken, as Willy Widdershins cut a corrupt deal with the Minister to spy on Harry and the members of Dumbledore's Army in order to escape punishment for his own crimes.
They also handled security at the Holyhead Harpies versus Puddlemere United Quidditch match on Ilkley Moor hoping to avoid the trouble that had occurred at previous matches — even taking the extraordinary step of confiscating wands from fans — but trouble ensued anyway.
Like Muggle police patrols, the Magical Law Enforcement Squad appeared to be tasked with conventional law enforcement tasks. Other sub-departments of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, such as the Auror Office, dealt with specialised magical crimes.
- 17 years of age or older
- Five or more O.W.L.s including Defence Against the Dark Arts
- Not of nervous disposition
- Starting salary of 700 Galleons per month
- Ministry of Magic broomstick
- Regular bed at Saint Mungo's
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Daily Prophet Newsletters (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Mentioned in a newspaper)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
Notes and references
- When Voldemort controlled the Ministry and in the latter years of Cornelius Fudge's rein because he believed Dumbledore was using it to bring him down.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 7 (The Ministry of Magic)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 10 (The Marauder's Map)
- Daily Prophet Newsletters - Issue 2
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 10 (The House of Gaunt)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (see this image)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 27 (The Centaur and the Sneak)
- Daily Prophet Newsletters - Issue 3
- Daily Prophet Newsletters - Issue 4