- "There wasn’t much room inside. Every inch of wall was hidden by cages. It was smelly and very noisy because the occupants of these cages were all squeaking, squawking, jabbering or hissing."
There are cages of pets on display. It is very cramped, noisy and smelly with every inch of wall covered by cages. It sells all kinds of animals — Streelers, Fire Crabs, sleek black rats that are very intelligent, owls, ravens, cats of every colour, Puffskeins, Transforming rabbits and much more.
The Magical Menagerie was where Ron Weasley bought some Rat tonic for his pet rat, Scabbers, (who was really Peter Pettigrew, hiding in his animagus form) and Hermione Granger got her cat-Kneazle crossbreed, Crookshanks. The saleswoman stated that Crookshanks had been an inhabitant of the store for a long while, as no one wanted him. Crookshanks also proved to be valuable to the trio during the events of the 1993-1994 school year.
Known creatures for sale
- "A pair of enormous purple toads sat gulping wetly and feasting on dead blowflies. A gigantic tortoise with a jewel-encrusted shell was glittering near the window. Poisonous orange snails were oozing slowly up the side of their glass tank, and a fat white rabbit kept changing into a silk top hat and back again with a loud popping noise. Then there were cats of every colour, a noisy cage of ravens, a basket of funny custard-coloured furballs that were humming loudly, and, on the counter, a vast cage of sleek black rats which were playing some sort of skipping game using their long bald tails."
- —Creatures on display[src]
- Lacewing flies
- Fire crabs
- Baby Nifflers
- Baby Pygmy Puffs
- Skipping black rats
- Transforming rabbit
- Double-ended newt
- Giant Purple Toad
- Horned toad
- Common Toad (5 Galleons)
- Crested Toad (9 Galleons)
- Harlequin Toad (9 Galleons)
- Western Green Toad (9 Galleons)
- Natterjack Toad (5 Galleons)
- Black Cat (9 Galleons)
- Ginger Cat (9 Galleons)
- Siamese Cat (11 Galleons).
- White Cat (9 Galleons)
- Tabby Cat (9 Galleons)
Other products for sale
Behind the scenes
- Pottermore users could purchase some of enumerated above species, and make them their pets.
- In the The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, the Magical Menagerie is located in Horizont Alley across from Pilliwinkle's Playthings
- In Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (PS1 version only), The skipping black rats can be seen on the counter inside the Magical Menagerie.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (PS1 version only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Briefly)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter- Diagon Alley
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 Pottermore
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 4 (The Leaky Cauldron)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (PS1 version only)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 The Making of Harry Potter (see here)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (PlayStation 2, Xbox & GameCube version)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) - Disc Two (Tour Diagon Alley)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (PlayStation version)