- Ron Weasley: "It’s my rat. He’s been a bit off-colour ever since I brought him back from Egypt."
- Saleswoman: "Bang him on the counter. Hm. How old is this rat?"
- Ron Weasley: "Dunno. Quite old. He used to belong to my brother."
- Saleswoman: "What powers does he have?"
- Ron Weasley: "Er –"
- Saleswoman: "He’s been through the mill, this one."
- Ron Weasley: "He was like that when Percy gave him to me."
- Saleswoman: "An ordinary, common or garden rat like this can’t be expected to live longer than three years or so. Now, if you were looking for something a bit more hard-wearing, you might like one of these ..."
- Ron Weasley: "Show-offs."
- Saleswoman: "Well, if you don’t want a replacement, you can try this Rat Tonic."
- Ron Weasley: "OK. How much – OUCH!"
- Saleswoman: "NO, Crookshanks, NO!"
- — Ron Weasley seeking treatment for Scabbers at the Magical Menagerie[src]
In 1991, she was willing to give Harry Potter some warts from a Giant Purple Toad if he could catch it. In 1992, she was absent, possibly on vacation, and a man had to do her job. She advised a customer on how to take care of a double-ended newt, sold Ron Weasley a bottle of rat tonic for Scabbers during the summer of 1993, and sold Crookshanks to Hermione Granger at that time as well.
Behind the scenes
- The Magical Menagerie saleswoman is omitted from the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, since Hermione already has Crookshanks with her by the time Harry was reunited with her and Ron.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban(First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (DS and IPhone version)
Notes and references