At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "All you will ever need to know about what makes spells work."
- —Advert at Flourish and Blotts[src]
Magical Theory written by Adalbert Waffling is a required textbook for first year at Hogwarts. It is available at the Hogwarts Library, or for sale at Flourish and Blotts bookstore for two Galleons.
In a chapter speaking of the first fundamental law of magic:
Tamper with the deepest mysteries — the source of life, the essence of self - only if prepared for consequences of the most extreme and dangerous kind.
During the 1991-1992 school year, a Gryffindor student lost her/his copy of Magical Theory on the Hogwarts grounds and posted a notice requesting its return on the Gryffindor pasteboard. Harry Potter found it near Hagrid's Hut and returned it to the student, receiving a Chocolate Frog Card depicting Mopsus for his trouble.
Behind the scenes
- In the first film, the book´s cover is red. In the video game, it is greenish yellow. In Pottermore, it is blueish-grey.
- At the Durmstrang Institute, Магичен Теория is a required textbook. Магичен Теория is an incorrect Bulgarian translation of Magical Theory. Durmstrang students could be seen carrying this book during the Triwizard Tournament in the 1994–1995 school year at Hogwarts.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Console versions)
- Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells (Mentioned only)
- The Art of Harry Potter Mini Book of Graphic Design
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 5 (Diagon Alley)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) - Console versions