Magizoology is the study of magical creatures. Wizards and witches in this field are referred to as Magizoologists. The most famous Magizoologist was Newt Scamander, author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. There are many different sub-categories in this field, such as dragonologists, as well as specialists.
A Magizoologist is a wizard or witch who studies magical creatures (a field known as Magizoology); though they may possibly also be referred to as wizarding naturalists. A person may not need to have graduated from school to become a Magizoologist.
The Scamander family has many members that have worked as Magizoologists. One of the most famous Magizoologists is Newt Scamander. He was the author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Early in life, Scamander developed an interest in magical creatures that was influenced by his mother's breeding of hippogriffs. Newt's grandson Rolf and his wife Luna were considered wizarding naturalists.
A Care of Magical Creatures class is taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for students who wish to learn about magical beasts. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is a required textbook and the professor of the subject can be counted as a Magizoologist, since they are educating others about creatures. Rubeus Hagrid was the Care of Magical Creatures professor at Hogwarts, his predecessor was Silvanus Kettleburn.
As Magizoologists work with many creatures, the perceived dangerousness of working with each creature may be higher than others. As such, the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures at the Ministry of Magic created a classification of every known beast, being and spirit. These offer a glance and guide into the life of a Magizoologist.
Ministry of Magic (M.O.M.) Classification
- XXXXX - Known wizard killer / impossible to train or domesticate
- XXXX - Dangerous / requires specialist knowledge / skilled wizard may handle
- XXX - Competent wizard should cope
- XX - Harmless / may be domesticated
- X - Boring
- Centaur (should be treated with great respect)
- Golden Snidget (any wizard who captures this creature will be punished, due to their near-extinction from past hunting)
- Merpeople (should be treated with great respect)
- Phoenix (only a few wizards and witches who already domesticated them)
- Unicorn (should be treated with great respect)
Texts on Magizoology
- Why I Didn't Die When the Augurey Cried
- Merpeople: A Comprehensive Guide to Their Language and Customs
- The Handbook of Hippogriff Psychology
- Dreadful Denizens of the Deep
- Big Foot's Last Stand
Zoology is the branch of biology that focuses on the structure, function, behaviour, and evolution of animals. Magizoology is a combination of the words "magic" and "zoology".
Behind the scenes
A real-world field of study related to Magizoology is Cryptozoology, the study of hidden animals that were believed to be extinct, yet some people caught a glimpse of their existence in real-life.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Notes and references
- Newt Scamander was sentenced to be expelled from school, and while it is unknown whether that was carried out or not, Newt still became a Magizoologist.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 5 (Diagon Alley)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Chapter 6 (Talons and Tea Leaves)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 14 (Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 19 (The Hungarian Horntail)