A magnifying glass is an object designed to produce the illusion of a smaller object being larger due to being viewed through a convex lens. Muggle magnifying glasses are generally made of a single lens supported by a handle. Albus Dumbledore had a magnification device that consisted of a magnifying glass of this type on a stand. The Informous Spell produced an image of a Muggle magnifying glass during the spell's effect.
In contrast, wizarding magnifying glasses typically consisted of a long handle, with a lens floating off of the main part of the device. This type of magnifying glass was also capable of magically viewing the interior anatomy of living creatures, making it someone similar to the Muggle concept of X-ray vision. As such, these devices were useful for potioneers, especially those learning the craft.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Game Boy Color version only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Game Boy Advance version only)
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)