|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is a conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
- "She was a witch of prodigious skill and possessed of much gold"
- "It might have taken the warlock fifty years to find such a woman, yet it so happened that the very day after he decided to seek her, a maiden answer his every wish arrived in the neighbourhood to visit her kinsfolk"
- —The Warlock meets the maiden[src]
The Warlock decided to find an astoundingly beautiful, magically talented, and wealthy wife, so that he is envied by all, and it just so happened that he found a maiden who met every expectation the very next day. The maiden was fascinated as well as repelled by the Warlock's cold and reclusive personality, but agreed to attend a feast at his castle. The Warlock attempted to flatter the maiden, but she confronted him saying that she would only believe these lovely words if she thought he had a heart. The Warlock thus took her down to the dungeon of the castle and showed her an enchanted crystal casket, within which lay his own beating heart.
Horrified, the maiden asked him to put the heart back inside his chest, and so he does. The maiden is so pleased that she runs forwards and embraces him. The heart, however, has become horrible in the long time that it has been separated from the body, and the scent of her golden hair, the silken touch of her soft white arms, and the gentle musical sound of her breath in his ear all pierced it.
When she met the warlock, she was fascinated as well as repelled by him, but agrees to attend a feast at his castle. The Warlock attempted to flatter the maiden, but she confronts him saying that she would only believe these lovely words if she thought he had a heart. The warlock then took her to the deepest dungeon to show his most valuable treasure, his own beating heart. The maiden was repelled by the beating heart and made the Warlock put it back in his chest. Once he had done so, the smell of her hair as well as the beauty of her skin pierced his newly awakened heart. Soon he kills the maiden in an attempt to exchange his own heart for hers. Having always disregarded love as a sign of weakness, coupled with his newfound inhumanity, the warlock felt absolutely no sadness nor regret in killing the maiden.
- "Her kinsfolk, however, deemed theirs a most suitable match and, eager to promote it, accepted the warlock's invitation to a great feast in the maiden's honour"
- —The kinsfolk[src]
- "Her beauty was such that it tugged the heart of every man who set eyes on her..."
- —The maiden's beauty[src]
Personality and traits
Magical abilities and skills
- Magical mastery: The maiden was described as a witch of prodigious skill, meaning she was a very powerful and talented witch who was highly proficient in many different fields and branches of magic.
- Magical Empathy: The maiden appears to have some version of magical empathy, as she is able to sense the true feelings and emotions of one, as she did with the warlock, possibly Legilimency.
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (First appearance)
Notes and references