A Maledictus (plural Maledictuses) is a female individual who carries a blood curse that eventually turns her into a beast permanently. The curse is carried from birth and passed down from mother to daughter. The beast ultimately transformed into can vary based on the curse. Before their permanent transformation, they have the ability to change shape at will, which becomes gradually uncontrollable. A Werewolf is not considered a Maledictus.
|Nagini||Turned permanently into a snake because of her affliction.|
- Maledictus is a Latin word meaning "accursed [one]", from maledicere ("to speak ill of, slander, curse"). This is a masculine word; as all Maledictuses are female, it should logically be the female form, Maledicta.
Behind the scenes
- Maledictuses were very different from Animagi.
- Nagini's human form was the first time a Maledictus was mentioned in the wizarding world franchise, though blood-related curses were mentioned before with the case of Astoria Malfoy.
- It's unknown if a Muggle can carry the Maledictus curse. As yet we do not know if Nagini is magical or not, as it has not been revealed, and it is possible that Muggle women, as well as witches, may be afflicted.
- Nagini is stated to not have a wand, however according to the script she did manage to use Parseltongue to cast a spell when transformed. It has also been stated in interviews that she has magic "unlike that of wizards" suggesting that she may be a non-magical human able to use limited magic due to the curse she is under.
- A Maledictus is not destined to be evil.
- It seems that a Maledictus' form is not limited by the lifespan of the animal they transform into, similar to Animagi. Nagini lived to be at least 71 years old, longer than a snake's normal life expectancy.
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay (First appearance)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 They're different conditions. Maledictuses are always women, whereas werewolves can be either sex. The Maledictus carries a blood curse from birth, which is passed down from mother to daughter. by J.K. Rowling on Twitter
- ↑ Everything you need to know about Nagini at Pottermore
- ↑ @gabifcr: Is always a snake? @jk_rowling: No, they can be other creatures. Depends on the curse. by J.K. Rowling on Twitter
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay
- ↑ https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1044575171624017920
- ↑ https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1044577399977988097