|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The topic of this article is of a real-life subject that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really exists), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
Behind the scenes
- In 2017, in response to a tweet from the QI Elves saying that "Quidditch, digestive biscuits and overdrafts were all invented in Edinburgh", J. K. Rowling remarked that Quidditch was in actuality invented in Manchester. This is not, however, a reference to the location of Queerditch Marsh, where Quidditch originated in-universe, but the actual place in which Rowling came up with the idea of Quidditch — in a hand-signed, annotated first edition of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone that was auctioned for charity in 2013, Rowling remarked that she had invented Quidditch while staying in a small hotel in Manchester after a row with her then-boyfriend, adding rules that she was sure would infuriate men, which she found satisfying given her state of mind at the time.
- J. K. Rowling's official site (Mentioned only)
- J. K. Rowling's Twitter account (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ "Manchester" on Wikipedia
- ↑ Pottermore - JAPAN_VERSUS_NIGERIA (Archived)
- ↑ J.K. Rowling's Official Site
- ↑ J. K. Rowling on Twitter: "Untrue, I'm afraid! Quidditch was invented in Manchester."
- ↑ Furness, Hannah (18 May 2013). "JK Rowling invented Quidditch after a row with her boyfriend", The Telegraph. Retrieved 19 August 2018.