- "The Manticore is a highly dangerous Greek beast with the head of a man, the body of a lion and the tail of a scorpion. As dangerous as the Chimaera, and as rare, the Manticore is reputed to croon softly as it devours its prey. Manticore skin repels almost all known charms and the sting causes instant death."
- —Newt Scamander, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them[src]
A Manticore has a the head of a human, the body of a lion, and the tail of a scorpion that will kill anyone instantly. A Manticore's skin repels all known charms, so it is extremely difficult to subdue a Manticore with magic. It is known to be capable of human speech, and is considered a sentient beast. The Manticore will sing softly as it eats its prey.
At one point in the late 2010s, a British witch named Theresa Stadt was found to have somehow raised a Manticore called "Mr Whiskers" from infancy. When the Ministry of Magic was notified of this Manticore, they sent a Magizoologist member of the Statute of Secrecy Task Force to retrieve it, which proved a "remarkably ghastly affair".
Behind the scenes
- The manticore is a creature from Persian mythology, later adopted by the Greeks and medieval Europeans.
- Although neither mentioned or described, it may be that some defensive spells, such as the Shield Charm and the Patronus Charm, could be used as a means of protection against Manticores, similar to many other physical forces and Dark or carnivorous creatures respectively, such as Dementors and Lethifolds.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Exploding Snap Famous Wizard Card)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (First appearance)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 11 (The Firebolt)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 13 (Mad-Eye Moody)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (see this)
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|