- Mary Cattermole: "I don't understand."
- Harry Potter: "You're going to leave here with us. Go home, grab your children, and get out, get out of the country if you've got to. Disguise yourselves and run. You've seen how it is, you won't get anything like a fair hearing here."
- — Mary Cattermole after Harry Potter and Hermione Granger disrupt her trial[src]
Mary Elizabeth Cattermole (fl. 1997) was a British Muggle-born witch. She lived at 27 Chislehurst Gardens, Great Tolling, Evesham with her husband and children. She was described as small with dark hair that she wore in a neat bun.
- Dolores Umbridge: "You are Mary Elizabeth Cattermole? Married to Reginald Cattermole of the Magical Maintenance Department?"
- Mary Cattermole: "I don’t know where he is, he was supposed to meet me here!"
- Dolores Umbridge: "Mother to Maisie, Ellie, and Alfred Cattermole?"
- Mary Cattermole: "They’re frightened, they think I might not come home —"
- Corban Yaxley: "Spare us. The brats of Mudbloods do not stir our sympathies."
- — Mary Cattermole being sadistically interviewed by Dolores Umbridge and Corban Yaxley for the Muggle-Born Registration Commission[src]
In 1997, Mary was accused of stealing the wand of a pure-blood or half-blood witch or wizard, and was brought before a trial by the Muggle-Born Registration Commission. She was interrogated by Dolores Umbridge and Yaxley, and would have been convicted and sent to Azkaban if not for the help of Harry and Hermione (disguised as Albert Runcorn and Mafalda Hopkirk respectively). Harry, Hermione and Ron (disguised as her husband Reginald Cattermole) assisted her and a group of Muggle-borns who had been in for questioning escape the Ministry. Harry advised Mary and Reg to take their children and flee the country while Voldemort was still in power.
It is unknown if Mary and Reginald managed to escape successfully, or what happened to them and their children after the war.
"Mary" is the English form of Maria, which was the Latin form of the New Testament Greek names Μαριαμ (Mariam) and Μαρια (Maria) (the spellings are interchangeable) which in turn come from the Hebrew name מִרְיָם (Miryam). The meaning is not known for certain, but there are several theories including "sea of bitterness", "rebelliousness", and "wished for child". It is also possible that the source of the name lies in ancient Egyptian, and was derived from mry "beloved" or mr "love".
Behind the scenes
- Mary Cattermole was portrayed by Kate Fleetwood in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1.
- In the film, it was Ron, not Harry, who warned Mary to take her family and flee the country, though she thought he was her husband at the time, and proceeded to kiss him.
- Mary does not wear her hair in a bun in the film.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- Wizarding World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 13 (The Muggle-Born Registration Commission)
- Harry Potter Limited Edition (See this image)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 7 (A New Curse)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - Chapter 13 (Lifting the Locket)
- Kate Fleetwood cast as Mary Cattermole in Deathly Hallows