On 31 July, Mr Mason and his wife were dinner guests at the Dursley home. The evening was nearly ruined when the dessert Petunia Dursley had made, crashed to the floor (an incident blamed on Harry Potter, though it was actually Dobby's fault). The evening could have been rescued were it not for the barn owl that flew through the open window and dropped a letter on Mrs Mason’s head. Mr Mason then informed the Dursleys that his wife was mortally afraid of birds. He then left their home quickly following after his screaming wife.
The English word "mason", meaning a craftsmen, normally a stoneworker, and originally leaders of teams of builders. This is likely a reference to Mr Mason's position as head of a building company.
Behind the scenes
- Mr Mason was portrayed by Jim Norton in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the pudding, levitated by Dobby, crashed down on Mrs Mason's head, ruining the dinner party and causing Vernon Dursley to lock Harry in his bedroom also instead of the Ministry owl letting fall a letter on Mr Mason's wife. Petunia, Vernon's wife, said: "Would you like some ice cream, Mr and Mrs Mason?"
- In a deleted scene, Mr Mason was said that he was a wonderful golfer and he says that he plays occasionally. This was his only line in the film but was cut out from the theatre version.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4