- "No one ever lived after he decided ter kill 'em... he'd killed some o' the best witches an' wizards of the age — the McKinnons, the Bones, the Prewetts —"
- —Voldemort killings of several wizarding families during the First Wizarding War[src]
The McKinnons were slaughtered by Death Eaters at the height of the First Wizarding War in mid-1981, as they were connected to the Order of the Phoenix. According to Igor Karkaroff, Travers was among those involved. The only known member of this family is the late Marlene McKinnon who was a member of the Order.
Behind the scenes
- Other than the Potters and the Longbottoms, Marlene McKinnon is the only former Order member mentioned in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
- The McKinnons were mentioned in Lily Evans's letter. She stated that Peter Pettigrew had looked sad when he visited, but she believed it was because of what happened to the McKinnons. The Potters and the McKinnons were possibly good friends, as Lily cried when she heard of their deaths.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 10 (Kreacher's Tale) - In her letter to Sirius Black, Lily Potter thanks him for his gift for Harry's first birthday and that she recently heards of the McKinnons' death, which must have been around this time.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 4 (The Keeper of the Keys)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 9 (The Woes of Mrs Weasley)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 30 (The Pensieve)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 10 (Kreacher's Tale)
- ↑ "McKinnon" at Ancestry.com