Melania Black (née Macmillan) (fl. 1925-1929) was a pure-blood witch married to Arcturus Black III. The couple had two children, Lucretia and Orion Black. She was Sirius and Regulus Black's paternal grandmother.
Melania is the Italian, Spanish or Polish version of the name Melanie, which is derived from the Greek melaina, meaning "black, dark".
Behind the scenes
- Melania is almost certainly related to Ernest Macmillan, a Hufflepuff student in Harry Potter's year who boasts that he can "trace [his] family back through nine generations of witches and warlocks." Considering the respective ages of Melania and Ernie, they are either cousins several times removed or Melania is the sister of Ernie's great-grandfather. If the latter, Melania could claim six generations of magical ancestors.
- Likewise, if Hufflepuff is considered the Macmillan family's traditional house, she might have been Sorted there unlike the majority of her husband's family and her descendants.
- Melania is likely Scottish as Macmillan is a Scottish surname, though her family might have left the country before her birth.
- Given that Arcturus Black III wasn't disowned for marrying Melania Macmillan, this implies that the Macmillan family are in the eyes of the Black Family a "respectable" family, compared to the Weasleys.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears on the Black family tree tapestry)