- Arthur Weasley: "Just sling them around your neck and you'll be able to change appearance at will. A hundred thousand disguises, all for ten Galleons!"
- Molly Weasley: "And what really happens when you put them on?"
- Arthur Weasley: "Mostly you just turn a fairly unpleasant orange colour, but a couple of people have sprouted tentacle-like warts over their body."
- — Conversation regarding Metamorph Medals[src]
Metamorph Medals were magical objects supposed to help the wearer metamorphose. Actually scam objects; they actually made the wearer turn orange, or in worst cases, caused them to break out in tentacle-like warts.
In 1996, when the whole wizarding world were finally made aware of the return of Lord Voldemort, some unscrupulous wizards and witches decided to take advantage of their terror by tricking gullible wizards and witches into believing that the so-called protective objects they sold actually worked, so as to scam them out of their money. Each medal cost ten Galleons.
When the Office for the Detection and Confiscation of Counterfeit Defensive Spells and Protective Objects was created, the head of the department, Arthur Weasley confiscated a bunch of these Metamorph Medals, and told his wife Molly Weasley about them.
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 5 (An Excess of Phlegm)