At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
It is requested that this article, or a section of this article, should be expanded. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by expanding this article to give more complete coverage of its subject.
The Middle Ages of European history (adjective form: mediaeval or medieval) are a period in history which lasted for roughly a millennium, commonly dated from the fall of the Western Roman Empire in the 5th century to the beginning of the Early Modern Period in the 15th century marked by the division of Western Christianity in the Reformation, the rise of humanism in the Italian Renaissance, and the beginnings of European overseas expansion. There is some variation in the dating of the edges of these periods which is due mainly to differences in specialisation and focus of individual scholars.
- In 1473 the first Quidditch World Cup was held.
- The Wizard's Council was being held before the Ministry of Magic in England.
During the middle ages, the following wizards and witches were known to have been alive:
- Alberta Toothill (1391–1483)
- Antioch Peverell (1214–prior 1292)
- Bridget Wenlock (1202–1285)
- Cadmus Peverell (prior 1214–prior 1292)
- Chauncey Oldridge (1342–1379)
- Cornelius Agrippa (1486–1535)
- Cyprian Youdle (1312–1357)
- Emeric the Evil
- Egbert the Egregious
- Godric Gryffindor
- Helga Hufflepuff
- Rowena Ravenclaw
- Salazar Slytherin
- Ignatia Wildsmith (1227–1320)
- Ignotus Peverell (1214–1292)
- Merwyn the Malicious
- Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington
- St Hedwig
- St Mungo's healer
- Wendelin the Weird
During the Middle Ages, beautiful pieces of art were produced, amongst them some tapestries, like the Slytherin Dungeon tapestries, Black Family Tapestry and a tapestry depicting The Lady and the Unicorn. Muggle literature from this time also details numerous magical beasts and beings.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World
- Quidditch Through the Ages
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 23 (Christmas on the Closed Ward)
- ↑ Pottermore introduction for Slytherins (transcription available here)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 6 (The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black)
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - "A Breif History of Muggle Awareness of Fantastic Beasts"