A classification was given by the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures to all known Beasts, Beings and Spirits. These offered an at-a-glance guide to the perceived danger level of a creature. There were five categories.
Ministry of Magic (M.O.M.) Classification
- XXXXX - Known wizard killer / impossible to train or domesticate
- XXXX - Dangerous / requires specialist knowledge / skilled wizard may handle
- XXX - Competent wizard should cope
- XX - Harmless / may be domesticated
- X - Boring
Behind the scenes
- In Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Ron Weasley adds nine "X"s to Acromantula's Classification. This is a reference to Ron's fear of spiders. This may also be contributed to by Aragog's offspring almost killing them, only being saved by the chance appearance of his father's car. Ron also adds seven "X"s on the pixie entry, with the additional remark of "if you're Lockhart".
- On the page that describes the classification system, a handwritten note by Ron Weasley indicates classification XXXXX is "anything Hagrid likes".
- The Golden Snidget was classified XXXX not for the difficulty in domestication or hazardous properties, but because it was an endangered species that would result in severe punishments if hunted or harmed.
- The Phoenix was classified XXXX not for aggression, but for the difficulty in domestication.
- Despite being classified XXXXX, Basilisks and dragons could be tamed, by Parselmouths and dragonologists, respectively, regardless of the incredibly dangerous nature of the creatures. In the latter case, however, wizards were more limited to using brute force and conditioning it via torture. Other XXXXX creatures known to have been kept by wizards in some capacity, though perhaps in unusual circumstances, included the Nundu (by Eldon Elsrickle and by Newt Scamander) and the Manticore (by Theresa Stadt).
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them