- "Mr Weasley marched Harry across the short stretch of pavement towards the first of two old-fashioned dark green cars, each of which was driven by a furtive-looking wizard wearing a suit of emerald velvet. […] The Ministry of Magic cars seemed almost ordinary, though Harry noticed that they could slide through gaps that Uncle Vernon's new company car certainly couldn't have managed."
The Ministry of Magic owned a fleet of cars, for the transportation of Ministry officials and their luggage. The Ministry bought the cars from Muggle manufacturers sometime in the twentieth century and later modified them with "various useful charms" in order to increase their interior capacity and to be able to slide through gaps that non-enchanted cars would not be able to manage.
- "It is pointless to deny that wizardkind looked with great envy upon the speedy and comfortable automobiles that began filling the roads in the twentieth century, and eventually even the Ministry of Magic bought a fleet of cars, modifying them with various useful charms and enjoying them very much indeed."
- —The Ministry adopts the use of cars[src]
On 1 September, 1994, Molly Weasley stated that Arthur Weasley had asked for the use of one of these cars, but there weren't any to spare. She ended up having to call three Muggle taxis for the journey to London.
In 1996, Harry once again rated "top-grade security status" and one of the cars was used to transport him and the Weasleys from The Burrow to Diagon Alley and back again. Later that year, on 1 September, one of the cars was again used for transportation to King's Cross.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Pottermore - "Technology"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 6 (Draco's Detour)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 5 (The Dementor)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 11 (Aboard the Hogwarts Express)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 10 (Luna Lovegood)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 7 (The Slug Club)