Mirabella Plunkett (b. 1839) was a British witch famous for falling in love with a merman in Loch Lomond while on holiday. After her parents forbade her to marry him, she transfigured herself into a haddock and was never seen again. She was featured on a Chocolate Frog Card and on a portrait hung at Hogwarts Castle.
Mirabella and the merman decided to marry. However, Mirabella's parents objected strongly, and forbade her to marry him. In response, Mirabella transfigured herself into a haddock, never to be seen again. It is unknown if she ever returned to her merman lover once she became a haddock.
After her disappearance, Mirabella was not forgotten. She was eventually immortalised on a Chocolate Frog Card. There was also a portrait of her hung at Hogwarts Castle, which guarded a secret shortcut between the first-floor landing of the Grand Staircase and the Entrance Hall side room. The password required to gain access to said shortcut was haddock.
Magical abilities and skills
- Transfiguration: Mirabella was highly proficient in the art of transfiguration, given how she successfully transfigured herself into a haddock fish; a famous achievement in the field which gained her recognition on a Chocolate Frog Card. Given how both Human Transfiguration and Trans-Species Transformation are incredibly complex and advanced branches of transfiguration, this shows her remarkable talent she possessed in this notably very difficult branch of magic.
- Love: Mirabella was an incredibly loving soul, who famously fell in love with a Merman and even went to the drastic measures of transfiguring herself into a haddock, just so she could be with her lover in the water together as fish, showing her love to have been very strong and powerful indeed.
The name "Mirabella" is derived from Latin mirabilis, "wonderful".
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (First appearance) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card) (Appears in portrait(s))
Notes and references
- She is most likely an Animagus, but she also might have transfigured herself into a haddock through Trans-Species Transformation, causing her to start thinking like a haddock and lose the ability to reason as a human.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) - PC version