At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The topic of this article is of a real-life subject that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really existed), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
- "Not only were there a dozen frost-covered Christmas trees and thick streamers of holly and mistletoe crisscrossing the ceiling, but enchanted snow was falling, warm and dry, from the ceiling."
- — Description of the Great Hall at Christmas[src]
Mistletoe is itself a poisonous plant, although upon consumption, it is usually not fatal. However, the toxins in Mistletoe can cause blurred vision, diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting. Toxins are more concentrated in the leaves and berries of the plant.
Mistletoe was amongst the Christmas decorations in the Great Hall in 1992. It was used to decorate the Room of Requirement when Dumbledore's Army had a session on 18 December, 1995. Harry and Cho Chang shared a kiss underneath it. Luna Lovegood believed that it is commonly infested with nargles. The mistletoe in the Room of Requirement continued to grow as Cho and Harry kissed, possibly meaning that the room grew it, as they required it.
Mistletoe was hung up as part of the Christmas decorations for 1996 at Hogwarts, hung at intervals along the corridors. Due to Harry Potter's popularity, large groups of girls tended to gather under the mistletoe branches whenever he passed by. Harry, however, was familiar enough with the castle's secret passages to simply sneak away into other routes that were free of mistletoe. At the Lovegood house there were crab apple trees with bushy crowns of white-beaded mistletoe.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 40 (A Witch Scorned) - Herbology Lesson "Mistletoe"
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 12 (The Polyjuice Potion)
- Mistletoe on Wikipedia
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 21 (The Eye of the Snake)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) - Chapter 16 (Under the Mistletoe)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 15 (The Unbreakable Vow)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 20 (Xenophilius Lovegood)