The Montrose Magpies are a Quidditch team that play in the British and Irish Quidditch League. The team is the most successful in League history, having won the League Cup thirty-two times and the European Cup twice.
The team colours of the Magpies are black and white, and their playing robes are black and white with one magpie on the chest, and another on the back. Lennox Campbell, Angus Campbell, Eunice Murray, Alasdair Maddock and Fabius Watkins are known to have played for the Magpies. Cormack McLeod is a known manager of the Magpies.
Hamish MacFarlan captained the team.
In 1999, Maddock is blamed for the Magpies' loss to the Kenmare Kestrels, due to his attempts at using techniques from Muggle football. Magpies Seeker Lennox Campbell missed the Snitch when it was kicked at him by one of his Chasers (presumably Maddock).
League Standings On October 1st 1999
|6||Pride of Portree|
Behind the scenes
- Minerva McGonagall is an avid supporter of the Montrose Magpies, having grown up in Scotland.
- Magpies supporters banners were available to buy in Quality Quidditch Supplies in 1992.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Mentioned on banner)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Mentioned on banner)
- Daily Prophet Newsletters
- Quidditch Through the Ages (First appearance)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- As Puddlemere United, the oldest team in the British and Irish Quidditch League, was founded that year, the Montrose Magpies had to be founded later.
- (see this image)
- Pottermore biography of Minerva McGonagall (transcription available here)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (DVD Diagon Alley tour)