Mr Tibbles was a part-kneazle cat owned by Arabella Figg. He appeared to have the ability to communicate with humans, as he was able to inform his owner when Harry and his cousin, Dudley Dursley, were attacked by two Dementors in August 1995.
The name "Tibbles" is spelling variant of "Tibbals" and means "son of Tibbal" which is an English form of the name Theobald. The name is deriving from the Old High German first name Dietbald which means "people" + "bold".
"Tibbles" and the variant "Tibby" became popular cat names in the Middle Ages due to popularity of the cat Tibert in the Reynard the Fox stories. The character Tybalt in Romeo and Juliet was named after Tibert and is mocked in the play as "the Prince of Cats."
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- J. K. Rowling's official site (Indirectly mentioned only)