Mrs Skower’s All-Purpose Magical Mess Remover (or just Mrs Skower's Magical Mess Remover for short) is a magical cleaning solution. Invented some time after 1492, an advertisement for it at the Quidditch World Cup in 1994 featured the slogan "No Pain, No Stain!" It is able to clean up ectoplasm left behind by ghostly beings. According to Mathilda Grimblehawk, the solution has a rather distinctive strong, acrid smell. Muggle Laura Thorn said the smell reminded her "of hospitals and dentists".
Argus Filch tried unsuccessfully to remove the words which Ginny Weasley painted on wall of the second-floor corridor when she was being possessed by Tom Riddle's diary at Hogwarts with Mrs Skower’s All-Purpose Magical Mess Remover. As a Squib, Filch may have relied on the product quite heavily, particularly since a whole crate of it was kept stored in the school's broom closet.
Behind the scenes
- The surname Skower is a play on the word scour, which means "to clean by hard rubbing."
- The name is spelled as "Scower" in the Harry Potter Trading Card Game, but has been spelled "Skower" in all appearances in the books to date.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
Notes and references
- Unused Dialouge - The Cutting Room Floor and 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) - Nearly Headless Nick describes having to use shovels in his day to remove ectoplasm, and he lived until 1492. In the console versions of the Chamber of Secrets video game, it is said that Mrs Skower's Magical Mess Remover cleans up ectoplasm. Thus, the cleaning solution must have been made after Nick died in 1492, when shovels were still the only option.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 9 (The Writing on the Wall)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 8 (The Quidditch World Cup)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World - Case 2: The Smell of Fear, Act 3
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 18 (The Weighing of the Wands)