At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "...perhaps most useful of all, Muffliato, a spell that filled the ears of anyone nearby with an unidentifiable buzzing, so that lengthy conversations could be held in class without being overheard."
- —Use of the charm[src]
The Muffliato Charm (Muffliato) was a charm used to fill the ears of any person in the vicinity of the caster with an unidentifiable buzzing sound so as to allow for conversation without being overheard.
The charm was invented by Severus Snape and recorded during his time as a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, meaning it would have been created sometime between 1971 and 1978. It is unknown when Severus Snape invented this and many of his other spells as according to Sirius Black "he knew more curses when he arrived at school than half the kids in seventh year."
Harry Potter used this spell multiple times during the 1996–1997 school year after discovering the Half-Blood Prince's copy of Advanced Potion-Making. Hermione Granger originally disapproved of using the spell, but came to use it herself when it was needed.
On the 2 September, 1997, during the infiltration of the Ministry, Harry Potter realised that in the corridors near Dolores Umbridge's office was such silence as the Muffliato Charm was cast on the entire floor. He was also thinking about throwing Muffliato in the courtroom on Dolores Umbridge and Corban Yaxley, but he said that saying the incantation would cause a violent reaction from Hermione Granger.
|Harry Potter||9 March, 1997||Used it on the Hospital Wing's doors to prevent Poppy Pomfrey from overhearing him when he talked with Dobby and Kreacher.|
|22 April, 1997||Used it during the Charms lesson to prevent six-years from overhearing him when he talked with Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley about Horace Slughorn's memory, Lord Voldemort's Horcruxes and Albus Dumbledore's promise.|
|Hermione Granger||31 July, 1997||Used it on the attic's doors in The Burrow to prevent Weasleys from overhearing her, when she talked with Harry Potter and Ron Weasley.|
|2 September, 1997||To protect campsite she shared in Dartmoor with Harry Potter and Ron Weasley, when they hunted for Lord Voldemort's Horcruxes.|
- The English word muffle means "to make a sound less distinct by covering its source."
Behind the scenes
- A prop made for the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix has Muffliato being among the tested material. This cannot be considered canon, as neither Harry, Ron nor Hermione knew of the spell until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
- This is the last named Defensive Charm cast by Hermione before she began her nonverbal spellcasting.
- Given that ravens were startled into flight when Harry Potter was shouting at his friends in an area protected by this spell, the charm may only work on humans.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Non-canonical mention)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 14 (The Thief)
- Scholastic Pronunciation Guide
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 15 (The Goblin's Revenge)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 19 (Elf Tails)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 12 (Silver and Opals) - "Harry had already attempted a few of the Prince’s self-invented spells."
- Pottermore - All about... Severus Snape
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 28 (Flight of the Prince)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 27 (Padfoot Returns)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Chapter 25 (Creature of Chaos) - Charms Lesson "Muffliato"
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 13 (The Secret Riddle)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 7 (The Will of Albus Dumbledore)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 13 (The Muggle-Born Registration Commission)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 24 (Sectumsempra)