Mulciber was a Dark wizard and one of the earliest Death Eaters of Lord Voldemort. He was possibly the father of Mulciber. He fought in the First Wizarding War, and travelled to Hogsmeade in order to "wish good luck" to Tom Riddle in trying to get a teacher position at Hogwarts. It is possible that Mulciber was deceased before the start of the Second Wizarding War, but, if he was not, he possibly fought at the Battle of Hogwarts and was presumably killed or imprisoned in Azkaban after Voldemort's final defeat.
Mulciber's early life is unknown. At some point, he became a loyal Death Eater for Lord Voldemort.
First Wizarding War
Mulciber fought in the First Wizarding War, along with many other Death Eaters. He was also one of the group who travelled to Hogsmeade to "say good luck" to Voldemort, during his attempt to ask for work at Hogwarts, along with fellow Death Eaters Nott, Rosier and Antonin Dolohov. He presumably fought in many battles during the First Wizarding War. It's unknown if he was still alive by the time of his master's downfall, or whether or not he was sent to Azkaban.
It's possible that Mulciber also took part in the Second Wizarding War and fought in many battles, including the Battle of Hogwarts. If this is the case he would've most likely been killed or imprisoned in Azkaban for his crimes.
May refer to Mulciber (Hephaestus), meaning "smelter", is an alternate name for the gentle son of Zeus and Hera who had a club foot and was a craftsman and blacksmith in Greek mythology. In Roman mythology he is the god of fire and metallurgy, Vulcan.
Mulciber is also a character in John Milton's Paradise Lost, a story based on mankind falling into sin and the struggle of heaven and hell. Mulciber was a fallen angel who is the architect of Pandemonium, the capital of Hell and home to the demons' council.
Behind the scenes
- During his trial, Igor Karkaroff accused a Mulciber of being a Death Eater. It is not known whether he was referring to the older or younger Mulciber.
- It is possible that Mulciber may have been one of the unidentified boys seen with Tom Riddle in Horace Slughorn's memory, although this has not been confirmed.
- It is unclear if he fought in the Second Wizarding War, as he would've been an elderly man if he was still alive.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Appears in flashback (possibly))