Mulciber was the surname of a wizarding family that is most likely pure-blood. Its members have traditionally attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and recent members have been Death Eaters.
There were two people with the surname Mulciber, and unknown first names.
- One was a friend of Tom Marvolo Riddle
- The other was a friend of Severus Snape, of whom Lily Evans greatly disapproved.
Due to their ages it is likely that these two individuals are father and son.
The name may refer to Mulciber (Hephaestus), meaning "smelter", is an alternate name for the gentle son of Zeus and Hera who had a club foot and was a craftsman and blacksmith in Greek mythology. In Roman mythology he is the god of fire and metallurgy, Vulcan.
Mulciber is also a character in John Milton's Paradise Lost, a story based on mankind falling into sin and the struggle of heaven and hell. Mulciber was a fallen angel who is the architect of Pandemonium, the capital of Hell and home to the demons' council.
Behind the scenes
- Though members of this family seem to hold blood-purity in high regard, it was not one of the names listed in the Pure-Blood Directory (most likely authored by Cantankerus Nott).
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (A family member possibly appears in a flashback)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)