|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is a conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
This event took place in the Shrieking Shack during the Battle of Hogwarts on 2 May, 1998. During this event, Lord Voldemort murdered Severus Snape with Nagini, as he incorrectly believed Severus Snape was the master of the Elder Wand.
- "There was a terrible scream. Harry saw Snape's face losing the little color it had left; it whitened as his black eyes widened, as the snake's fangs pierced his neck, as he failed to push the enchanted cage off himself, as his knees gave way and he fell to the floor. "I regret it," said Voldemort coldly."
- — Snape's death at the hands of Voldemort and Nagini[src]
On 2 May 1998, during the Battle of Hogwarts, the trio went to the Shrieking Shack, intending to kill Nagini, as they realised she was the final of Voldemort's Horcruxes that had to be destroyed. They accessed the Shack through the Whomping Willow, and Harry Potter put on his Invisibility Cloak once he reached the end of the tunnel, as he could hear voices from the shack, and hid behind a crater. Inside the shack, he could see Nagini inside a protective sphere, and heard Voldemort and Snape talking. There, Voldemort declined Snape's offer for him to bring Harry to him in the shack, and he questioned Snape why none of the wands he had used were able to kill Harry, and told Snape he realised the Elder Wand did not serve him, as it had only channeled his usual magic, and nothing extroadinary. Voldemort told Snape he had been a faithful servant, but that he had to regrettably kill him, as he mistakenly believed he was the master of the Elder Wand, as Snape had killed Albus Dumbledore, its former owner the year prior, during the Battle of the Astronomy Tower. Snape tried to reason with Voldemort, but Voldemort instead moved Nagini in her orb over Snape, commanding Nagini to kill Snape, in which she bit into Snape's neck with her poisonous venom. Voldemort then left Snape to die, taking Nagini with him. Harry, Ron and Hermione then entered and Harry approached Snape as he was dying, and tried to stop the bleeding, but Snape simply grabbed Harry's robes and told him to "take it", and produced silvery blue whisps from his mouth, ears and eyes, which Hermione contained in a conjured flask. Snape then asked to look into Harry's green eyes, and the two looked into others eyes, as Snape died from his wounds.
After Voldemort announced a one-hour armistice during the Battle, Harry realised he had to take Snape's memories and pour them into the Pensieve in the Headmaster's Office, in which doing so, he learned of Snape's true intentions and loyalty to him.
Behind the scenes
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 and subsequent video game adaptations, this event incorrectly takes place in the Boathouse instead of the Shrieking Shack.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7