At some point, Vulchanova suffered a mysterious death, and shortly afterwards Harfang Munter took over the school, in what was later to be considered a dark period in the history of the school: Munter substantially altered the curriculum to focus on duelling and martial magic.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the Durmstrang Institute is portrayed as an all male school. However according to Pottermore, the school was founded by Nerida Vulchanova; a witch. In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, at least one female is known to have attend Durmstrang during the 1994-1995 school year. Therefore, according to the books, the school is in fact co-ed, just like Hogwarts.
- Nerida is an uncommon variant of the female Nereida (Spanish, Greek) or Nerine (Greek), which can be translated as sea nymph.
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 12 (The Triwizard Tournament) The Triwizard Tournament was established some 700 years ago = c.1294
- Given how Durmstrang did not admit Muggle-borns by 1994, it is unlikely that one of its founders was Muggle-born.
- Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Durmstrang Institute" at Wizarding World