|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The topic of this article is of a real-life subject that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really existed), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
A newt is a type of amphibian related to salamanders.
It is used as a potion ingredient. This was an ingredient in a potion Harry Potter researched for the second task of the Triwizard Tournament. The eye and spleen of this creature is also commonly used as a potion ingredient (such as in the Ageing Potion, the former also being a phrase used by the Frog Choir in the song Something Wicked This Way Comes.
Double-ended Newts are a breed of newt with two heads that can be kept as a pet, which a wizard was instructed into by the saleswoman in the Magical Menagerie in 1993. Ginger Newts are a kind of biscuit sweet in the wizarding world, which Minerva McGonagall, the Transfiguration Professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, owned a jar of.
The Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test is often abbreviated as "N.E.W.T.," likely a reference to this creature in much the same manner as the Ordinary Wizarding Level exams were abbreviated "O.W.L." (owl).
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World (First appearance)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Mentioned only)