A newt is a type of amphibian related to salamanders.
It is used as a potion ingredient. This was an ingredient in a potion Harry Potter researched for the second task of the Triwizard Tournament. The eye and spleen of this creature is also commonly used as a potion ingredient (such as in the Ageing Potion, the former also being a phrase used by the Frog Choir in the song Something Wicked This Way Comes.
Double-ended Newts are a breed of newt with two heads that can be kept as a pet, which a wizard was instructed into by the saleswoman in the Magical Menagerie in 1993. Ginger Newts are a kind of biscuit sweet in the wizarding world, which Minerva McGonagall, the Transfiguration Professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, owned a jar of.
The Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test is often abbreviated as "N.E.W.T.," likely a reference to this creature in much the same manner as the Ordinary Wizarding Level exams were abbreviated "O.W.L." (owl).
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World (First appearance)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Mentioned only)