When she was eleven years-old, Olive received a letter, accepting her into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It's unknown if she was older than or was the same age as Myrtle, so their Sorting might have been at the same time or in different years.
Myrtle was Sorted into Ravenclaw in 1940. She was constantly teased and bullied by her fellow students. On one such occasion, Olive cruelly mocked her glasses, which was the reason Myrtle was in the bathroom that concealed the Chamber of Secrets on the night of her murder. After realising that no one had seen Myrtle for a couple of hours, and knowing that Olive Hornby had previously bullied Myrtle, Professor Armando Dippet, then-Headmaster of Hogwarts, asked her to go and look for Myrtle. When Olive got to the bathroom, the first thing she saw was Myrtle's dead body lying on the floor. This left Olive in a state of shock and horror, according to Myrtle's ghost, who watched the scene with delight.
Haunted by Moaning Myrtle
Moaning Myrtle, as Myrtle's ghost was now known, haunted Olive Hornby for a long period of time, even after she left Hogwarts. After Moaning Myrtle interrupted her brother's wedding, Olive went to the Ministry of Magic to get rid of the troublesome ghost. Myrtle Warren was then sent back to Hogwarts Castle, where she haunted the bathroom in which she died.
- The olive branch to the ancient Greeks, was sacred to Athena and was a sign of peace.
- Her last name, Hornby, is an Old Norse personal name composed of the elements horn ‘horn' + boði ‘messenger'. This could possibly point to the fact that Olive was most likely the first to send the message about Myrtle's death. Horns were also a symbol of power in many cultures, which could mean that Olive had power and authority over Myrtle. It might also be a "Last Trump" (in the sense of trumpet) reference.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Olive was still at Hogwarts when Myrtle died -- she was sent to find Myrtle by Dippet -- meaning that she was no older than 17 in 1943 but was at least 11.
- ↑ World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling
- ↑ "World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling," South West News Service, 8 July 2000 - "Hogwarts just serves Britain and Ireland."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- ↑ If she was still at Hogwarts, Olive would force Moaning Myrtle to go away by calling the Headmaster or her parents, not the Ministry of Magic.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- ↑ From Moaning Myrtle's remark in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (emphasis added): "And then she saw my body...ooooh, she didn't forget that until her dying day, I made sure of that..."