At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in: Harry Potter: Magic Awakened & Harry Potter: Wizards Unite & Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery.
- "Makers of Fine Wands since 382 B.C."
- — The strapline for this shop[src]
Ollivanders was a wand shop founded in 382 B.C. Located in Diagon Alley South Side in London, England, it was owned by the Ollivander family, widely acknowledged to be the best wandmakers in Great Britain.
It was believed by Garrick Ollivander, a descendant of the original Ollivander, that Ollivanders arrived with the Romans, setting up a stall (which, in due course, evolved into a shop) to manufacture and sell wands to the ancient British wizards, whose wands were crudely-made and inferior in quality and performance.
During the 1988–1989 school year, Mundungus Fletcher went to Ollivanders to ask about the wand of an opponent whom he had lost a duel to, but Garrick Ollivander couldn't tell much. Shortly afterwards, Jacob's sibling and a friend visited to find out about Fletcher, and Ollivander told them about the previous encounter with him.
At some point near the end of the 1989–1990 school year, Jacob's sibling and Jae Kim came to Ollivanders to meet Mundungus Fletcher and Ollivander, who had some information on a dark witch who had been gathering information of Jacob's sibling and their wand (who turned out to be the Dark Witch in Knockturn Alley).
During the 1990–1991 school year, Jacob's sibling and Ben Copper visited Ollivanders to investigate Ollivander's misfiring wand. After Jacob's sibling, Penny Haywood and Professor Snape successfully brewed a counter-serum for Xeep's Luscious Locks Solution, Jacob's sibling offered it to the victims of the solution, including Ollivander, in the shop.
- Ollivander: "Curious ... curious ..."
- Harry Potter: "Sorry, but what's curious?"
- Ollivander: "I remember every wand I've ever sold, Mr Potter. Every single wand. It so happens that the phoenix whose tail feather is in your wand, gave another feather — just one other. It is very curious indeed that you should be destined for this wand when its brother — why, its brother gave you that scar."
- — Ollivander on Harry Potter's wand[src]
In 1991, Harry Potter was taken to Ollivanders by Rubeus Hagrid in order to get Harry a wand for his first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Harry tried dozens of wands before he was chosen by a wand of Holly and Phoenix Feather. Mr Ollivander said that he had remembered every wand he had ever sold, and he found it curious that Harry should be destined for a wand that was brother to the one that had killed Harry's parents, and had almost killed him.
- Arthur Weasley: "Talking of Diagon Alley, looks like Ollivander's gone too."
- Ginny Weasley: "The wandmaker?"
- Arthur Weasley: "That's the one. Shop's empty. No sign of a struggle. No one knows whether he left voluntarily or was kidnapped."
- Ginny Weasley: "But what'll people do for wands?"
- Remus Lupin: "They'll make do with other makers. But Ollivander was the best, and if the other side have got him it's not so good for us."
- — Arthur Weasley, Ginny Weasley and Remus Lupin discussing Ollivander's disappearance in the summer of 1996[src]
In 1996, Alexandra Walker attempted to rob the shop. This event made Daily Prophet headlines. When Harry Potter visited Diagon Alley in his sixth year, he found Ollivanders shop boarded up and its owner gone as he was kidnapped by Fenrir Greyback and a group of Death Eaters. He was tortured for an explanation of why Voldemort's wand and Harry Potter's wand couldn't battle. Under the Cruciatus Curse, he told Voldemort that it was because of the twin cores, and that all Lord Voldemort needed to do was use another wand.
Ollivander was tortured and held in the cellar of Malfoy Manor until Dobby rescued him, Luna Lovegood and Dean Thomas. After recovering at Shell Cottage, he went to the Weasley children's great-aunt Muriel's place to be protected under the Fidelius Charm. Whilst there, he made a wand for Luna as a thank you gift for the comfort and care she had given him during the incarceration.
The shop was described as narrow and shabby with peeling gold letters over the door of the shop read: Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 B.C.
The shop's display consisted of a solitary wand lying on a faded purple cushion in the dusty window. The shop was tiny, empty except for a single, spindly chair in the corner. Thousands of narrow boxes containing wands were piled right up to the ceiling of the tiny shop, and the whole place had a thin layer of dust about it.
Items for sale
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Exterior only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Seen on the Daily Prophet)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter: A Pop-Up Book
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: The Wand Collection
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- LEGO Harry Potter
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Wizarding World
- Harry Potter for Kinect
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 5 (Diagon Alley)
- Pottermore background information on Garrick Ollivander (transcription available here)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, Chapter 1 (Your Journey Begins)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Chapter 10 (Knockturn Alley)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Chapter 17 (Broken Bonds)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 45 (The Messenger)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 12 (And Hello Magical Accidents and Catastrophes)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 15 (The Counter-Serum)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (PS1 version)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 6 (Draco's Detour)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 24 (The Wandmaker)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 23 (Malfoy Manor)
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened
- This page from the official website of NetEase states that the story starts ten years after the Battle of Hogwarts ("游戏故事时间设定在霍格沃茨大战十年之后")
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (PS1 version)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
|England, Great Britain|
|Carkitt Market - Diagon Alley - Horizont Alley - Knockturn Alley|