At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "A comprehensive botanical A-Z of magical herbs and fungi for easy plant identification and application"
- —Back cover blurb[src]
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi was written by the Herbologist and Hogwarts Headmistress Phyllida Spore, and, as its name implies, covers a thousand different varieties of herbs and fungi found in the wizarding world.
During the 1980s, Nymphadora Tonks had to study this book in order to pass a special test from Professor Pomona Sprout in order to get out of the infinite detention she earned from stealing Sprout's largest Venomous Tentacula and mistakenly tossing it on Professor Severus Snape.
During the 1991–1992 school year, this book was one of the required texts for first year students. It was a textbook used in Potions and Herbology classes at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Copies of this book can be found at Flourish and Blotts and the Hogwarts Library.
Dittany is a powerful healing herb and restorative and may be eaten raw to cure shallow wounds.
Flobberworm mucus is a popular potion thickener.
Moly is a powerful plant that can be eaten to counteract enchantments. It is a black-stemmed plant with white flowers.
The cry of the Mandrake is fatal to anyone who hears it.
The Wiggentree is a magical rowan that will protect anyone touching its trunk from the attack of Dark creatures.
Never eat the leaves of the Alihotsy tree (also known as the Hyena tree). These leaves cause uncontrollable laughter.
- Devil's Snare
- Leaping toadstools
- Venomous Tentacula
- Mimbulus mimbletonia
- Aconite (a.k.a. Monkshood or Wolfsbane)
Behind the scenes
- In Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, when Harry Potter buys the book, it is titled One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi, but later in the same book, Harry is mentioned looking up 'dittany' in One Hundred Magical Herbs and Fungi. This error, not found in the U.S. text, is corrected in later editions.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, this book has a blueish cover, but in Pottermore the cover is green.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Seen in promotional image(s))
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter Limited Edition - A Guide to the Graphic Arts Department: Posters, Prints, and Publications from the Harry Potter Films
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Pottermore - New from J.K. Rowling: One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Side Quest "Trouble with Tonks"
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 5 (Diagon Alley)
- ↑ Harry Potter Lexicon - Philosopher's Stone - Changes to the text
- ↑ A book is seen in the Slytherin Dungeon with the title '1000'.